Professors Tamako Akiyama (Rikkyo University) and Markus Nornes (University of Michigan) speak about the history and state of current independent film in China.
We Talk About:
- Navigating government censorship overseas
- Foreign distribution practices and circulation
- A new film festival in Inner Mongolia
- The Bejiing International Film Festival shutdown
- Comparing independent filmmaking in China to the U.S.
Quotes from the Show:
“This one festival got shutdown. They just cut off the electricity, so they couldn’t show films. The next festival, the designer of the poster was actually Wong Wo, the guy who directed the film (A Filmless Festival) on the 2014 festival, and his poster was the picture of an electric generator. They bought a bunch of these things just in case… the thing is, that year, they also got shut down.”